This is how I found my daughters room last night…
IT IS SO FRUSTRATING!!! I want to be able to make my home a haven and work on ways to make our life simply lovely. But honestly, what do you do when the little ones can make SUCH messes?? And, usually, fairly quickly at that!
My boys are pretty neat, for the most part, and when told, they will pick up after themselves. Twinkle Toes on the other hand has a meltdown (“But I don’t wannnnttt toooo piccckkkk up my rooooommm…”) when told to pick up her room. I think it is just that she has too much stuff… Maybe??
Anyhow, I decided to try and conquer their room last night. So, I headed in with the following list:
HOW TO ORGANIZE YOUR KIDS’ CHAOS
1. Edit their stuff. A child with too many toys can get overwhelmed. Give unwanted toys to a younger child or a charity.
2. Hold everything. Make sure the room has lots of low shelves, boxes and baskets (Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, the Container Store and CompanyKids all make great ones) to put things in.
3. Up, up and away. If you don’t want a ton of things piled on the bed or floor, consider installing shelves or a “pet net” to hold huge collections of dolls or stuffed animals.
4. Divide and conquer. Separate toys into different containers (plastic boxes, shoeboxes, even large zipper bags will do the trick), according to type.
5. Bag it! Make sure your child has a laundry bag or hamper in his room and get him into the habit of putting dirty clothes in it as soon as he’s worn them.
6. Set house rules … And review them. No food in the bedroom, no crayons in the living room, no clothes on the bathroom floor.
7. Make it fun. Have siblings “race” to clean up; the first one with a spotless space gets a reward.
8. Set a good example. You are the best role model. Show your child the benefits of living an organized, clutter-free life.
With the help of the girls, we went through EVERYTHING. Many, MANY toys were boxed up to give to the poor. We also filled a bag with trash. The remaining toys were sorted and boxed. We used some underbed storage boxes, plastic zipper bags and a few shoe box size rubbermaid containers. At this point EVERYTHING has a place.
Well, other than a little sign that I haven’t quite decided where to hang, so its sitting on the back of the toy box/bench:
I want to order a couple pictures from my Aunt/Godmother as well, to hang on the walls… I just can’t decide which ones. I love the Little Princess collection, or maybe Animal Kingdom… And the Lady Bugs collection is so cute too! And the Scroll collection is so pretty. She is so talented! Which do you think would look the best?
Well, here are a couple pictures of their CLEAN room this morning: