by Twinkle Toes
After their pages were complete, it was time to decide on a recipe for this state. I thought for sure they were going to choose something made with peaches for Georgia, but apparently they had their fill of peaches a few weeks ago… Instead they decided to make a New Jersey and Georgia themed lunch on Sunday, after Mass, as an anniversary gift to their Daddy and Momma! I love my girls!!
Italian Submarine Sandwiches
1/4 head iceberg lettuce
1 large tomato
1 small onion
4 individual submarine (long) rolls
4 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons vinegar
6 ounces sliced prosciutto or ham
6 ounces sliced salami
6 ounces sliced provolone or mozzarella
1. Wash the lettuce and tomato and pat dry.
2. On the cutting board, slice the lettuce and tomato
3. Remove the papery skin from the onion. Cut the onion in half. Lay each half flat on the cutting board and cut into 1/4-inch slices. (Have mom help with this step!)
4. Split the rolls in half horizontally.
5. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of vinegar inside each roll.
6. Keeping each roll open, place a few slices of prosciutto, salami, and cheese on both sides.
7. Layer lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on top of the meat and cheese.
8. Using a knife to push the vegetables into the sandwich, close the rolls. Cut each roll in half and serve.
G is for Garden State Teacher’s Guide (pdf)
P is for Peach: A Georgia Alphabet
United States Coloring Book (Dover)
State Birds and Flowers Coloring Book (Dover)
The United States Cookbook: Fabulous Foods and Fascinating Facts From All 50 States
Other Posts of Interest: