I have had a few requests for a peek inside that basket of lenten books for the older children that I mentioned the other day. I had hoped to put a post together a list of all our books but I just haven’t had the time so here is what’s in this year’s basket along with the links to each book:
- What Jesus Saw from the Cross – I have an older edition. Purchased for a Lenten book study years ago.
- Read-Aloud Book of Bible Stories – We read most of this during Advent and plan to finish during Lent.
- Jesus of Nazareth: The Story of His Life Written for Children – Excellent family read-aloud for Lent. Also available directly from St. Augustine Academy Press.
- The Picture Bible – This is one of our nine year old’s favorites. He received it in his Easter basket last year and reads it on a daily basis. I can usually spot it on his bed every night.
- A Life of Our Lord for Children, The Man Who Never Died: The Life and Adventures of St. Peter, the First Pope and The First Christians: The Acts of the Apostles for Children
- The Easter Book of Legends and Stories
- Awakening – Our thirteen year old recently read this book. She received it in her Easter basket last year. Also available from Catholic Child.
- Lent and Easter Wisdom from St. Thérèse of Lisieux
- Lent with Pope Benedict XVI: Meditations for Every Day
- Characters of the Passion: Lessons on Faith and Trust – A new purchase for this year and what I’m reading at the moment. I love Venerable Fulton Sheen. Always so inspiring!
- The Spear: A Novel of the Crucifixion – I have always loved the books by Louis de Wohl. Looking forward to finally introducing him to my teens.
- The Living Wood: Saint Helena and the Emperor Constantine
- Saint Helena and the True Cross – Our eleven year old just finished reading this story.
- A Graphic Life of Jesus the Christ
- The Robe – Not pictured. Another favorite of mine from when I was a teen.
- The Early Christians (DVD)
- Ben Hur (Audio)
- Meditations for Lent
- In Conversation with God: Vol 2 Part 1: Lent and Holy Week – I’ve had the whole series of these on my “wish list” for years. You can find them at Sacred Heart Books & Gifts. (By the way, Sacred Heart Books & Gifts is offering free shipping until March 25th for orders over $40!)
In addition to Characters of the Passion: Lessons on Faith and Trust, I am reading through the chapter for March on Mortification from A Year with the Saints: A Virtue for Every Month of the Year. My husband has been reading a chapter from The Little Catechism of The Cure of Ars aloud during dinner each night.
I’ve also pulled out our Catechism in Pictures, to review The Apostles Creed, and reading through The Holy Gospels of St. Luke and St. John from Sacred Art Series (pictured at the top of this post). Both are filled with gorgeous sacred artwork.